Friday, August 18, 2006

Nader Mijn God Tot U

Today for the first time after five years, i heard the hymn that brought me to God. For the first time in my native land.

Nearer My God to Thee.

I didn't realise that this hymn is actually inspired by the words of Genesis 28. The story of where God found Jacob. When i first sang this song 5 years ago, i didn't realise the significance of this song. I have always known that it was God who found me. I was the one running away from him all my life. Today as i sang the hymn in church, the words seem to leap out from the page in front of me. It is as though God is reminding me that He was the one who found me in the darkest hour of my life, when i'm most loneliest and frightened, of a future that's scarily unknown to me at that time.

Like Jacob, I had a dream of God. It was not a vision like his. Mine was a kind of voice...but yet, not exactly audible. "Your Father is coming to bring you home." I thought i was delirious from not eating for 3 days. Probably my own hallucination. I reasoned to myself that it was really myself talking, telling me that my real dad is coming to fetch me home....Turns out it was my Holy Father from above, who is coming to save me from this wretched place.

God is reminding me today again. He is telling me like He told Jacob that fateful night "I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what i have promised you."

My spirit has been down for the last couple of days. But it will not be broken. I'm eternally thankful to my Father who has lovingly brought me out from the dark to the light. again and again.


NEARER MY GOD TO THEE - Lyrics by Sarah F. Adam

Nearer my God, to Thee, nearer to thee
Ev'en tho it be a cross, That raiseth me
Still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to thee
Nearer my God, to Thee, nearer to thee
Though like the wanderer, the sun gone down
Darkness be over me, my rest a stone
Yet in my dreams I'd be, nearer, my God, to thee
Nearer my God, to Thee, nearer to thee

There let the way appear, steps unto heaven
All that Thou sendest me, in mercy given
Angels to beckon me, nearer, my God, to thee
Nearer my God, to Thee, nearer to thee

Then with my walking thoughts bright with Thy praise
Out of my stony griefs Bethel I'll raise
So by my woes to be, nearer, my God, to thee
Nearer my God, to Thee, nearer to thee

Or if on joyful wing, cleaving the sky
Sun, moon, and stars forgot, upward I fly
Still all my song shall be, nearer my God, to thee
Nearer my God, to Thee, nearer to thee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home